Last week I gave you the good news about power and victory in Christ. I wanted to build your confidence a little before talking about the other side.
This is a spiritual war. Our enemy is trying to bring us down. Thankfully we know the final outcome. God is victorious. In fact through Christ the victory is already won.
Let’s look at what the Bible says about this spiritual battle.
- 2 Corinthians 10:3-5 For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does.4 The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. 5 We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.
- Ephesians 6: 12 says that our struggle is not against flesh blood,but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.
There is a battle going on. Our enemy the Devil is out for our demise. In my book Beyond Head Knowledge I recount how I used to think the spiritual battle was fighting against the evils of the world and being brave enough stand for God in an environment that despises righteousness. But I had been looking at the battle outside of me and overlooking the battle within. My misconception had been that since I was saved, the battle for my heart was over. In truth, the enemy cannot steal our eternal destiny, but He can steal our day-to-day fellowship with Christ when we do not actively guard our hearts and minds. (Beyond Head Knowledge p 143)
Recall what you learned about the soul (spirit) last week. The soul encompasses the will, mind, and body; therefore when your soul is not being cared by being connected with God. The enemy just wants you to feel separated from God – making decision on your own, drowning in anxiety, living day to day without the hope of victory. While you live in the world you will have struggles but you have power in Christ. Live in that power.
In Battlefield of the Mind, Joyce Meyer’s reminds us of 6 things as we battle for our minds
- We are engaged in a war
- Our enemy is Satan
- The mind is the battlefield
- The devil works diligently to set up strongholds in our mind.
- He does it through strategy and deceit
- He is in no hurry; he takes time to work out his plan.
Ephesians 6:10 also encourages us to be strong in the Lord and in His power. This battle is not our own – it is God’s. Click To TweetNo matter what you are struggling with – anxiety, fear, guilt, insecurity, shame, negative thinking – God is able. His strength and power are available to us moment by moment.
Life Coach Moment
- In what areas of your life are you aware of the spiritual battle? Maybe in circumstances or in an area that you are struggling with worry. What is it that is causing your soul to not feel at peace?
- What promise of Scripture can you find to help you stand strong in this area? Pray this Bible verse with confidence and thanksgiving- knowing that God has already won the battle.
- Think back over some of what you have learned over the past months about knowing your story, the peace of God and the struggle with guilt. Can you think of a specific situation in which you can speak forth the words of God “I will be strong in the Lord and in His power.”?
Over the past few months after my grandfather’s death, I have become more aware of parts of my own story that’s not all pleasant. Looking back at my posts from last fall I am reminded how knowing my story helps in relating to God and understanding my triggers. With fresh resolve, I focus on Him, saying I will be strong in the Lord and in His power!
Renew Your Mind in Truth
Meditate on 1 John 5:4 & 5 for a few minutes “for everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith. Who is it that overcomes the world? Only he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God.”Have you put your faith and trust in Jesus? If you have you are an overcomer! Click To Tweet
Thank You Father that I am an overcomer because I believe in Jesus. I know that I am in a spiritual battle but I put my faith and confidence in You. Thank You that as I stay close to You, You give the strength and power to fight this battle. Amen.
I will not be discouraged. With Christ I am an overcomer. No weapon formed against me will prosper (Isaiah 54:17)
Latest posts by Naomi (see all)
- 3 printable thank you cards for those serving the Lord - July 6, 2017
- 3 Questions that block our Hope of Change - June 23, 2017
- Printable Father’s Day Card with Scripture - June 8, 2017